Monday, November 23, 2009

Some Things You Can't Throw Away

As I cleaned off the fridge that was full of pictures Ezekiel colored at Sunday School I came across a picture I just couldn't throw away. It was Ezekiel's second time in his new classroom when he colored the picture. After Ezekiel turned three he moved up to a new classroom at church. This meant some big changes: he had to listen to a story, he had to do a craft/color, there is a schedule, and he would sit in big church with the other children for singing! Being the protective mother I am, I struggled with letting him go on these new adventures on his own and worried that he wasn't ready. Of course, my husband stepped in and actually stopped me from keeping him with us for the singing and made me stand in a place where I couldn't watch him through out the songs- a good thing because he is doing great! So here is where the picture comes in... after his second Sunday and mom in full doubt of his capabilities to move up I asked him about the picture he colored. I point to the person and said "Who is this?"
Ezekiel, "That's David."
Mom, "Who's that?"
Ezekiel, "That's Jonathan. They were good friends."

Right in that moment my heart melted. He is ready. He listened. He is learning and I need to let him go. I have now come to the realization that Ezekiel is right when he said the other day:
"Mommy, when I get big like Daddy I won't need you"
He is right- if I do my job- he won't need me! I still hope he wants me!

No comments: